The Department of Computer and Control Engineering ( DAUIN ) pursues research and teaching activities focusing on the three main scientific topics: Automation, Computer Engineering and Operation Research.
The research at DAUIN has a very concrete impact on both social and industrial systems both at the regional, national and international level, as evidenced by the large number of research projects founded by leading public and private companies pubbliche e private.
DAUIN consists of more than 60 lecturers and researchers, more than 100 PhD Students and research collaborators, and around 20 people compose the the technical and administrative staff. Each year it manages around 250 teaching modules attended by 5000 students.
In 2009 the DAUIN income reached 4.6 M€, ranking DAUIN at the top positions out of the 18 departments of Politecnico. The income was almost entirely (90%) used to support research activities, while the remaining 10% was dedicated to management and teaching expenses. As a result, concerning the funding of research activities, DAUIN has occupied one of the highest positions among the Politecnico departments.
As regards the research activities only, the main income source was represented by contracts signed by DAUIN with companies and organizations (33%). The second largest fraction of income came from the Piedmont Region and other local authorities (28%). The research made for the European Union and other international organizations guarantied the 17% of the DAUIN income, while that made for other public and private organizations covered the 10%. A very small fraction of the research activities was supported by Politecnico (12%).